Wednesday, February 5, 2014

More Onion Dyeing



I am having lots of fun dyeing.

So, what I do is...
when I cook with onions, I make sure to use three onions so I can put the peelings in a saucepan and cover them with water and simmer them on the woodstove and then keep them soaking on the mantle for a day (staying warm).

Then I strain the liquid and put it aside.  Next I soak some yarn - not sure how much - but probably about 25 yards or so - in just enough hot water with 1/2 - 1 t. of alum (mordant).

Next, I put the reserved dye in a saucepan and heat it to hot but not boiling and remove from the woodstove and put on the mantle.
I take the yarn out of the mordant bath and put it directly into the hot dye bath and leave it for a couple of hours and then rinse and dry the yarn.

I am making another granny square pot holder using some of these yarns.

And, just arrived is this book to read with Sarah about Benjamin Franklin - really an inspirational man.   
How wonderful if we instilled in our children the joy of experimentation, curiosity and the desire to be life long learners.

Joining with Ginny today.

11 comments:

  1. I started saving the onion skins so hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll start experimenting. Thank you for the notes you wrote and the mini tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have about a pound of white fleece that I spun several months ago...I think I 'll try this in the spring. Thank you for sharing... it is such a lovely color. m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely, inspiring post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SouleMama had posted a week or so ago about dyeing some yarn so I checked out some books from the library. It seems like an awful lot of work and I have no experience with it so I'm not really sure. But I did think you could come up with some interesting colors using natural things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty darn cool. I love the peach color from the alum and tartar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Tonya, yes these granny squares are some of my very favourite ever. Love love love the onion skins. Keep dyeing!
    xo Jules

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely LOVE the look of your granny squares, so soft and sweet.

    Thanks for your comment on my blog. In answer to your question, yes! the uniform cardigan is a very easy pattern even with your mama distractions (7 children—wow that is awesome!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fairly new knitter here. Love how you dyed the yarn. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are quite ambitious. I love the varying dye colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your new banner - when did you get ducks?? We're hoping to add some this spring. Do they share a house with your chickens?
    Love to you and yours -
    Adrie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this is really amazing Tonya. I love the different tones you are getting. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete