Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Knitting and Reading


Happy to be sharing again this week with Ginny and so many others.

A few days ago I received a sweet, thoughtful package from Mama Ilse and in it were some circular needles.
While I am still working on the rustic rainbow blanket, I just "had to" start another blanket with some of the new needles.  I remembered seeing the Two Lights Blanket pattern in Issue 4: Wood of Taproot and using some organic cotton from Knitpicks, got started.  The pattern is simple, yet offers enough variety to keep you interested and the result is a neat chevron pattern.  The organic cotton from Knitpicks is affordable and really soft.

I am reading Barnheart by Jenna Woginrich and am enjoying it like I knew I would.  Farming is in my heart and soul.   One inspiration I have just from reading about 1/3 of the book, is angora rabbits!  On our small homestead, they may be a good addition.  We can't realistically have sheep here because we don't have pasture and much of the 3.25 acres is wet,so this may a wonderful alternative to having our own wool! 
Does anyone have any experience with angoras?

14 comments:

  1. I saw Barnheart on another blog! I think I am going to have to get it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the new blanket is beautiful!! Won't it be fun researching about angoras and the possibility of owning them? It's almost as fun as owning them :) (I do not own them by they way, just thinking of the pure fun of it!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a great little workshop at the CT Sheep and
    Wool Festival this past weekend on angora rabbits. I heard that the bunny can give up to 9 oz. of fiber every 90 days. I have friends who have had them and had great spinning success. I was considering getting one years ago and did a lot of online research. I couldn't get one though because it turns out that I am severely allergic to them! I was so upset. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Donna,
      That is really too bad about being allergic, but thank you for sharing about angoras.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely gift to receive! Enjoy this blanket ~ it's going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how exciting. i have been toying with starting that blanket. cotton yarn! great idea. and rabbits! very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blanket is lovely. Rabbits? We own just one, not an angora, that we keep for fun. Wish I could remember the breed, but my brain just can't seem to open that file at present. :) Bunny droppings make a nice addition to the compost pile, btw. ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tonya...Little angora rabbits would be so so sweet. I remember seeing a woman spinning with her rabbit nestled on her lap...I'm not sure if you can spin directly from the bunny or if it was a photo op, but it sure was sweet. I'm certain your kids would love those little critters on your farm.
    xo Jules

    ReplyDelete
  8. i hope you are able to add some rabbits to your farm, sounds like a lovely addition! i still have not seen taproot, i think it needs to go on my wishlist! the blanket looks so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That blanket pattern looks lovely I can see why you would want to cast on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Tonya, I have my eye on that blanket pattern too! I am anxious to see yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous blanket Tonya! I really enjoyed reading Barnheart too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just came across your post--sorry I'm so late to the party. I have Angoras--I keep English Angoras. They are as sweet as everyone says. Yes, they sit in your lap, yes, you can pick them up and do anything (pretty much) to them. However, 9 oz of wool every 90 days is a myth. If you push the rabbit (as in feed them a LOT of protein), you can get 10-12 oz a YEAR. They do shed out every three months, but there is nowhere near 9 oz of wool each time--not even for the Giant Angoras.

    If you have any questions, please email me at chickenscratchacres@gmail.com. I love talking rabbits--I am very fond of my group, and love their beautiful wool.

    ReplyDelete