Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Knitting and Reading


I am excited to be sharing my new book today that I borrowed from the library - The Little Bookstore of Big Stone Gap by Wendy Welch.  If you enjoy bookstores and small town living - you will love this book. 
Here is a review quote from the back -
"A delight.  With warmth and humor (Welch) shows that, even in the age of the e-reader, there is hope for books and those that love them, and that reading and bookstores still perform an important function in civic life.  Her clear prose sparkles with personality in this heartening tale of the perils and rewards of following one's dream." ~Thomas C. Foster

Nolan's girl friend (they are official now - more to come on how our family handles boy/girl relationships in another post), Rachel, made me these sweet earrings.  


I chose to use hand dyed yarn that I have had from  here for some time.  (I don't think she dyes yarn any longer)  I knit her up a scarf as a thank you.  
The pattern was - 
With size 10 needles
Worsted Weight Yarn on the lighter side
Cast on 36 stitches
Row 1:  Knit 2 tog (3 times), YO, K 1 (6 times), -Knit 2 tog (3 times),  Knit 2 tog (3 times) YO, K1 (6 times) - Knit 2 tog (3 times)
Row 2:  Knit
Row 3:  Knit
Row 4:  Purl
Repeat until desired length



Still working on my blanket - the second ball of yarn is getting smaller!

After seeing this book in several other Knit Along posts, I checked at Abebooks.com and found a copy for a great price.  I just love it. 
There is one line in particular - where the main character, an older woman (the knitter) says more than once -
"Every question has an answer," said Babba Zarrah.  "I just have to think of it."

I believe this with all my heart.  Through prayer and perseverance, truly there is a way to solve most problems/challenges/conflicts. 

My mom, who was a single mother for much of my childhood, was such a wonderful example of this attitude.  Although we struggled financially and she at times, had to work a lot, when some kind of struggle or question would come up she would not let it get her down.  Instead her response might have been (and still is today!) - 
let's find a way to  make this work or what can we do to solve this problem, or let's look at our options 
- an attitude of hope and optimism.  
I am thankful for that kind of example.

Looking forward to joining in with Ginny and so many others at today's Yarn Along.


14 comments:

  1. What a lovely post! And you've given me two new reads for my list :) But my favorite quote? "I believe this with all my heart. Through prayer and perseverance, truly there is a way to solve most problems/challenges/conflicts." I do believe that with my whole heart!

    You amaze/inspire me with the things you are able to get done in the course of one week! Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of your books sound wonderful. How lovely to be gifted the earrings, so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the sound of the Bookstore book! Just ordered it for my Mom for Valentine's Day. Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful earings!
    I made my mother-in-law a cowl for christmas using that same pattern. It's a really easy repeat to remember and looks so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely post! Love the quote from The Story Blanket and am putting "the Little Bookstore..." on my reading list as it sounds charming. Pretty earrings. :) Blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for an encouraging post with so many good quotes. I will have to post these in my journal and let them sink in.
    Blessings,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for writing a lovely post. I will be looking for those books at my library to read myself. You are an inspiring person. I think that is why I follow your blog. I will be trying out this knitting pattern soon. The earrings are pretty, enjoy wearing them.
    Blessings,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm...such and encouraging post. Thank you for your words today.
    Blessings,
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm looking forward to your post on young relationships. It will be timely for our household and this sweet time of year. Lovely knitting and beautiful earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Dating. Time goes by wayyy too quick. Hopefully you are embracing the bits of beauty that new step takes though I can only imagine for right now. I hope you do share when you are ready. I love how we can grow along side each other as our children grow up...learning and supporting each other along the way.

    :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great outlook to pass to you. I try to show my kiddos that we can always find an answer if we look hard enough. What a great gift to give too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for posting the pattern - it was just what I needed to make a gift for my aunt. However, the first row is not adding up - I still have 6 stitches left when I'm done with the final K 2 tog. Did I cast on too many (36)? Or is there another YO, K1 set of 6? Please help! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry about that - I fixed it.
      Warm wishes,
      Tonya

      Delete
    2. So let me make sure I have this right...
      There are TWO Knit 2 tog (3 times) in the middle?

      Delete