Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Knitting and Reading



Joining in with Ginny and many others again this Wednesday to share my knitting and reading.

I finished this bonnet (pattern is from Vintage Knits for Modern Babies)  in baby alpaca yarn and this Plain Vest knit in plant dyed goldenrod wool for a custom order (would you please email me as I have misplaced your email - I am so sorry...)

I am still working on the In Threes sweater vest in soft pink and am enjoying the simplicity and soft color.


As far as reading, I am nearing the end of Up Tunket Road and have to say it is one of the best books I have read.  But, if you are looking for a homesteading how-to book, this is definitely not one.  It is more of a philosophical read.  Here is another quote ~

"Farmers today can get so busy farming and producing such a narrow range of commodities that they often don't raise much of their own food.  While I can understand how our beleaguered food and agricultural systems have created such a model, I find a certain wisdom in a homesteading approach to food, where feeding the family comes first, and producing food for income can follow."

What are you reading and/or knitting?

Warm wishes,
Tonya




12 comments:

  1. I might have to find that book...I love that quote so, so true!! We have thought about selling at the farmers market near by...but if we did we wouldn't have food on our own table.

    Every year we try to plant a little extra..we either can a little bit more or the insects get extra.

    I think this could also apply to Etsy..every time I think about making up a bunch of knitted or crochet items I usually keep them for our family to use..ugh..I know there should be a balance in everything we do:)

    I love your little bonnet so very sweet!!

    ~~Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. The vest and bonnet are just lovely. I'll have to check the bookstore for the Vintage Knits book ~ looks like a great one to have and the homesteader book too.
    I'm still working on my "helmetliner".
    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the plain vest! I knit my oldest daughter one and am planning on knitting up another for my youngest daughter as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That book sounds extremely interesting. As do vintage knits for modern babies - oh, how I wish I had babies to knit for but my son is almost as bit as me now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your knitting..such sweet things. I am crocheting some things..my daughter is the knitter :) Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I so agree with that quote. We l know so many people who are farming, selling their produce and then buy in most of their food. So weird.It is so important to us to first feed ourselves and anyone else staying on the farm. Love your knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the bonnet and vest are lovely..simple and so functional :) The book sounds very interesting thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your projects. You are so talented. The book sounds interesting. Enjoy the rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything looks so lovely. I added that book to my wish list last week, hoping it might be under the Christmas tree :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that bonnet, so sweet! The ever elusive homestead... I have to come back here to try to shift my mind. Just saying I want to grow food does not really work, does it? You have to actually plant and water :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so talented....I like everything....I will come again.

    ReplyDelete