Sunday, February 12, 2012

Re-Evaluating

In the Tsh Oxenreider's book, Organized Simplicity, she talks of the need to come up with your family's purpose statement.  As our family has realized one of our dreams/goals - that of living simply (are we really? - this a work in progress as well) in a rural, affordable location while working, learning, and being together as a family as much as possible - now it seems that it is time to reevaluate where we are  and where we would like to go - both as a family unit and individually.



We have been brainstorming and this mission statement is my favorite -
Our purpose is to serve God, family, friends, and neighbors by utilizing our gifts as much as possible.

And then, when reading through Organized Simplicity some more, I re-read the author's definition of simple living as "living holistically with your life's purpose."  



Isn't it also true that by using your gifts as you serve others, you will ultimately be serving yourself and when you are following God's purpose for your life then you will find joy.

Has your family come up with a Mission Statement or Family's Purpose Statement?


5 comments:

  1. Yes Tonya we have...to server Our Lord fully. To live a life of worship in everything we do. To love our neighbors and help them with the talents that we have been gifted. To live life in the moment and to embrace each new trial with the right perspective.

    I like your mission statement, May you be blessed as you embrace this new way of life!

    m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a family mission statement. We don't have one (not an official one anyway). Something I'd like to change, thank you sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband has always wanted to do this and it's just so hard to find the time and stillness to think! I just received this book in the mail -I couldn't resist and ordered a copy for myself. Looking forward to diving in. Your family's mission statement sounds great. I think serving is counterintuitive to our self-centered culture and so important to remember as Christian families.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea! At our pastor's home they have a wall with family photos and "wall words" (those stickers you can buy) that say, "Our Family Values: Love God, Work Hard, Tell the Truth..." (I can't remember the rest!)

    We are remodeling and will soon need to re-paint all the walls in our home. I think we might incorporate your family mission statement idea with the wall words idea and put ours up on the wall! Now, we just need to write one! :) Hm. Our family verse is Micah 6:8 (Do justice, love kindness, walk humbly with your God.) Maybe something that includes that verse?

    Thank you for inspiring this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We tell our children that whatever you do for others, you are really doing for Jesus. I need to remember that during the day when I am doing my housework and preparing dinner, with the help of my girls. I remember that Jesus came as a servant to heal and bind up the broken hearted. He gave up Heaven to come to earth~truly amazing! I think that would be our mission statement for our family. To love your neighbor as yourself and on top of that to put God first in your hearts.Other things can get in the way and we create our own "idols"~a car, a fancy watch, even tv or a special person~I tell my children to watch out for this and to not make anyone your god~there is only 1 true God and to really know him we need to read his word. I know we have the holy spirit to help us discern what is shameful to our Lord and what is honoring to him~but if we do not read the Bible~God's words to us~we will be going down the wrong path. Thank you so much for this post Tonya. We are still enjoying your birch pencil, crayon holders, birch candle and other things from your lovely shop. I don't always comment, but I read your blog everyday. God bless you, Rose

    ReplyDelete