Saturday, December 24, 2011

Gifts from God




A mixture of joy and sadness are my feelings on Christmas.  So much joy for the gifts God has given me - the birth of His Son, my amazing family, a home, food, clothing, generous gift cards from family and friends and the list could go on and on.

During Christmas, though as I am reminded of all of my blessings, I think of those that don't have as many blessings - those with very little healthy food to eat, lack a loving family or friends, or have never been introduced to Jesus' love. 

Sarah said to me today as we were listening to NPR," Mom, 1 out of 7 people in Vermont go hungry." 

How much should we help?  When are we being too indulgent instead of helping?  When do I not need to buy a bottle of wine or some new art supplies for the children?  When should I instead be helping others? Or is it ok to do both?  And how does God want me to do so?   

So on this Christmas it seems as if God is reminding me that I am to love others like He loves us and to be more self-sacrificing like Jesus. 

This Christmas Eve as our family sits in our warm home heated by our woodstove, and eats a simple meal of homemade soup before going to Christmas Eve service at church, I will be thankful and know that all of our blessings are from God.

Merry Christmas!

"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."  ~ Ephesians 2:10

9 comments:

  1. So sweet and heartfelt Tonya. Merry, Merry Christmas to the beautiful family behind the wonderful Plain and Joyful Living blog!!!

    Much Love,
    Mary
    http://lundkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to you and your family! Thank you for sharing such beautiful words. I also look around me and marvel at the blessings we have been given as a family....yet, there are those that are still darkness. All we can do is pray and live our lives honoring our Savior.

    Be blessed today,

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. ♥♥♥
    Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. merry christmas to you and yours!
    christmas blessings,regina
    reginassimplelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas!

    I think if we are keeping a prayer in our heart that we may be His hands on earth, we'll be put in the path of those we're to help, that our eyes will be opened, and we will be inspired in how we should serve. God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not as generous as you are, but sometimes our children remind us what's really valuable. My james is VERY attached to money: it's his favourite thing. He would ask for money as a present, he collects quarters... Still, he asked Santa for a set of sharpie pens(because I have everything, and that's what I really want). and he decided to donate some of his money to our church after reading "A Christmas Carol"(I don't want to become like Scrooge). WE gave him lots of presents, of course: useful ones and ones he'll rarely use(although not many toys because he doesn't really use them). Best choices were night robe and Monopoly Junior(this last from Savers). Really, it's time to rethink my priorities....THanks for sharing and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how your words reflect my heart also!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you. I share your heart! I will be meditating on that verse over these days.
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely message and a very timely reminder for me.
    Thank you and have a blessed Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete