Wednesday, November 25, 2009

More Thanksgiving Preparations


Abby (our nine year old) makes this custard cornbread each Thanksgiving.

Custard Corn Bread

A slightly sweet custard layer forms on the top of this unusual cornbread as it bakes. It can be made in an 8 inch square or round pan or in individual ramekins.
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup buttermilk
3 T. sugar
3/4 c. cornmeal
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. nutmeg
2 T. butter, melted
In a large bowl beat together the eggs with 1/2 cup milk and all of the buttermilk. Stir in the sugar, cornmeal, flour, soda, salt, nutmeg, and butter and mix until well blended. Pour the batter into well-greased pans and top with the remaining milk. Do not stir the milk into the batter. Bake at 325 degrees until the center appears set when shaken slightly. The top should be lightly browned. Let stand 15 minutes before serving warm.
This recipe is from one of my favorite books, Country Wisdom and Know-How, Everything You Need to Know to Live Off the Land by Storey Books.
We spent the day cleaning up the house before our 12 guests arrive tomorrow - that makes an even 20 of us. Last night I was reading Abby the chapter from Farmer Boy - Christmas. I had to laugh heartily as I read about how mother was loudly giving orders to each of the children before their guests were due to arrive - from helping with food preparations, cleaning, checking their hair, etc... Then as soon as their guests arrived she took off her apron and her sweet voice returned.
I need to practice that sweet voice even when we are busily preparing for company. Reading that passage helped me to remember today to stay pleasant but diligent.
Instead of a formal grace before the Thanksgiving meal, we all hold hands around the table and each person shares what they are grateful for. I know I have been abundantly blessed this past year so much so that it seems unreal at times. Happy Thanksgiving!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe Tonya! I will definitely make this tomorrow....it sounds so good! Ours will be blue though...we grew the Hopi blue corn this year.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your ever so sweet family!
    love, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I can so identify with Farmer Boy's mother. I've really been trying be the same person to my family and others.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this yummy looking recipe...I will have to give it a go! :)

    I love the Little House books and especially Farmer Boy...so many things in there I can relate to! :)

    Have a wonderful thanksgiving!
    Blessings,
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving! We always share our many blessings we have to be thankful for and then sing our prayer.
    I love this recipe, but my family isn't so fond of it. I usually make cornbread dressing, but this year it's just the three of us and I'm the only real dressing eater of our family, so will for go making any. Besides we're all trying to watch what we're eating and loosing weight and stuffing is just that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about the not so sweet voice turning into a sweet voice as soon as company comes. Guilty! I just blogged about that! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can also identify with that book passage! What a great reminder to stay sweet with our kids before guests arrive...but yes diligent!
    Enjoy your day
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son bought Country Wisdom and Know-How last year and really enjoys reading it. I'll let him konw about the custard cornbread recipe, it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete